Monday, October 16, 2006

Watch out... the oven is back in action

While the kitchen is still a disaster from the remodel-in-progress, you will soon begin to see we have set up the stove so I can use it again. I went full steam ahead in taking advantage of having it working - I began by making another batch of the new favorite hamburger bun recipe. I love working with this dough and it has not let me down yet!

Jeff loves hush puppies from Long John Silvers... but, we rarely eat there. It is usually for a once in awhile (maybe once or twice a year) unhealthy splurge as we typically eat pretty healthy and I make most of our meals. I thought I could surprise Jeff and try a recipe I found for Baked Hush Puppies! While they are obviously not the exact same since they are baked and not fried, Jeff was really impressed with how close they did taste like them! They do have an unusual special ingredient and I had Jeff guessing for quite a long time trying to figure it out. I ended up having to tell him what it was... crushed rice krispies! The batter is baked in a mini muffin tin and comes out of the oven with a rich golden and pretty crisp crust. The inside is light and moist with a bit more spice to them than at Long John Silvers. I think I liked these better as they are not heavy and greasy - Jeff has already asked me to make them again!

I find myself making more and more soups lately as the weather cools down - so to go along with the hushpuppies, I made a Lasagna Soup. This soup is filled with spicy hot Italian turkey sausage, onions and carrots. Boosting the flavor in the broth and tomato combination is minced garlic, basil, oregano and red pepper flakes. For the noodle part of the recipe, I opted to use Campanelle pasta - the pasta is quite striking to look at, they are small with fluted edges and have a hollow center. Once the pasta is tender, chopped fresh spinach is thrown in to wilt down. For a fun twist to the recipe, cubed provolone cheese is placed in the bottom of the serving bowls right before the soup is poured in. As you dig in, you get small pockets of gooey melted provolone in each bite - such a good way to distribute the cheese in this recipe! Sharp Parmesan is grated on top with strips of fresh basil to finish the dish with a burst of flavor. Jeff and I both commented on how much it did taste like lasagna, albeit a soupy one! I wish I would have doubled the recipe to freeze for lunches later in the week - it was that good!


17 comments:

  1. The Soup looks great - I already copied the recipe in my "Must Try Folder"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been catching up on the last few days of your blog, Jeff...I feel for you having the kitchen torn apart! You still don't cease to amaze though! I'm hungry just reading about everything and looking at all the pictures! The lasagna soup looks great...will have to try that soon!
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joe,
    Do you think that I could halve the Baked Hush Puppies by just doing 1 egg, rather than 1 egg and 1 egg white? My husband is always commenting that I make too much food for two people :-) and 24 does sound like a lot. But I'm always up for leftovers if you think the recipe shouldn't be tampered with. Thanks! - Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry, Joe....I know perfectly well what your name is. That's what I get for posting at the crack of down. I guess I had Jeff on the brain, because I kept reading his name in the blog...duh!
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  5. The soup really looks good I have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The soup really looks good I have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Joe. These recipes look great. How 'bout some interim pictures of the appliances as they dribble in? We of the appliance challenged would appreicate it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dani - Let me know if you try it!

    Anon - No problem silly - I just can't wait until the kitchen is back to normal!

    Laura - You should be okay with that sub - maybe take out a little of the beaten egg mixture before adding the dry ingredients? Although, I bet these would freeze well if you made a full batch!

    Krista - Thanks!

    Harry - This is just our normal oven - we have yet to decide on a new one. It will probably wait until after the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  9. lasagna soup! baked hush puppies! chocolate peanut butter bundt cake! Joe- I love stopping by to see what you're cooking. These sound great and as always, the pictures are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Baked hush puppies!! You just blew my mind - I just wrote an entry about how much I love hush puppies but I try not to eat them too much being a healthy person as well.

    I will definitely being try these. I can't keep up with all of your delicious posts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooooh, that soup looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Crafty P - We certainly are having fun!

    Lauren - I hope you like them, Jeff sure has taken to them!

    Crystal - It is!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow, that soup looks perfect for a chilly day. i'm bookmarking it now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was planning on making the baked hush puppies today - what do you think the advantage is to using regular milk to the evaporated milk?

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kickpleat - Hope you like it!

    Lauren - Hmm, good question - I've only made it with evaporated as it is a bit richer. If you try it with regular, be sure to let me know how it worked!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This soup made for an awesome Tastespotting photo!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The soup is very good! I think of it as more of a very hearty minestrone. It would be good with cheese filled tortellini or even ravioli for your choice of pasta! Or you could serve it with dollops of ricotta on top, instead of sour cream or yogurt as on some soups.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete