Saturday, April 28, 2007

Getting back into baking with pistachio muffins...

Since I was not able to do much baking in the past couple of weeks, I've really been itchin' to get a few things made that I've had on the top of my to-make lists. I'm always trying to keep the freezer stocked with different breads or muffins so we can have them on hand whenever the mood strikes - they always freeze well and do not take long to thaw at all.

Today's Honey and Toasted Pistachio Muffins have lots of good-for-you ingredients packed inside with a nutty sweet topping. To boost the nutritional content, whole wheat pastry flour and flaxseed meal is used - I like using the pastry flour as it still gives you the nutritional benefit, but gives the muffin a lighter texture than using the heavier whole wheat flour. I like to keep whole flax seeds in the freezer and then use a small coffee grinder to process them whenever I need the meal. You could buy flaxseed meal, but it can go bad fairly quick and we find it just as easy to grind it ourself. Whole seeds tend to just get passed through your system, so you want to use the meal as your body is readily able to absorb the benefits.

These muffins themselves are not too sweet with just a half a cup of brown sugar and are quite tender with the addition of buttermilk as the main liquid ingredient. Lightly spiced with nutmeg and allspice, plump golden raisins are also tossed into the batter to add another texture to the muffins.Topping these muffins are finely chopped pistachios for a little crunch on the crowns - while I normally toast nuts before using them, we opted not to since these will be exposed directly to the heat and will toast as they bake. There are just enough pistachios to cover the crowns, but not too much that they all fall off as you try to remove them from the pans or while eating them. A drizzle of sticky honey grants a final kiss of sweetness to add to the appeal of these moist muffins.


5 comments:

  1. Joe, I'm stunned by your muffins - what a delicious flavor you chose and look how domed they are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that silver contraption you used for the picture. What is it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patricia - Thank you!

    Helene - It is actually a stand for candles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those look delicious! I have a huge bag of pistachios left over from some biscotti, and I think this just might be the thing to use them up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clover - Ahh.. biscotti - one of my favorites! Hope you like the muffins!

    ReplyDelete