Sunday, April 22, 2007

I had to fight for my piece...

Another short week as far as recipes go, but I've got quite the pile sitting next to me anxious to be made this week! I would have to say our favorites this week were the Creamy Cauliflower with Roasted Garlic and Chipotle, Turkey Mini Meat Loaves and the Mini Peanut Butter Cup Bars.

If I was counting today's recipe though, I would most definitely be adding it to that list! Eating this Mississippi Mud Cake almost felt a little naughty, but the stats are not too bad for what you get. To give the chocolate a boost, natural cocoa powder is first mixed with boiling water to allow the flavor to develop - however, you want this mixture to fully cool down before you use it. Once the cake tests done, miniature marshmallows are scattered all over the surface of the hot cake and it goes back into the oven. The marshmallows will expand to fill in the spaces and begin to soften, but you're not really looking to get color on them. To fulfill the title, we now need to make a bit of mud to throw on top... and unlike something you would find outside, this is some sweet and enticing mud!

This pitch black mixture of Dutch-process cocoa powder, evaporated milk, butter, confectioners' sugar and vanilla lights this cake on fire! This is a cooked frosting that takes just minutes to prepare - when it is ready, it is thick, but it has just the right consistency to flow correctly. As soon as you take it off the stove, don't mess around - drizzle it right on the cake... as it cools, it will be too thick and start to set. The texture in each bite is very intriguing -a chocolate-y moist cake topped with squishy marshmallows that is set off by a thick, rich and firm icing. We cut ours into 15 and the size was generous and quite satisfying - any bigger and it could almost be too much to finish! Jeff has fallen in love with this cake and I doubt any piece will leave the house to share... I think I'm lucky I got a piece to try this evening!


5 comments:

  1. Oh Joe, this looks delicious!! The chocoaholic I am you can just imagine me drooling over your picture. The chocolate glaze-thing on top looks so good!!!
    I am glad you are feeling better!!
    Have a great week!
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am drooling over here. These look so good! They look like an Oreo cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how you do it. Every time I am at your blog, there appears something new I need to make.
    I am so jealous of your creativity and ability to make everything look and sound wonderful.
    This is definitely not a good blog to look at when I am hungry... I am starving now!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ana - Thanks!

    Emilie - Good call, Oreo Cake would be a great name!

    Loulee1 - hee hee!

    Heather - We try! I wish we could send you a piece to try!

    ReplyDelete